It’s the most wonderful time of the year! The holidays are here which means friends, family, extended family, work holiday parties, and more are in your near future. While you’re traveling to all of the festivities or switching up your tradition and going on vacation, be mindful about the environment by bringing your eco-friendly and sustainable habits as you travel. To help you stay ‘green,’ here are some tips!
Before the Journey
- Before leaving your house for an extended period of time, double check that all lights and electronics are turned off and/or unplugged and lower your thermostat 3-5 degrees. This will conserve energy while you are traveling and save you money.
- Pack as light as possible. If you are flying, the more weight there is on the plane, the more carbon emissions will be produced, so try to avoid overpacking. If you are driving, reducing the amount of weight you pack in your car can improve your overall MPG!
- If you are flying this holiday season, look for non-stop flights. Takeoffs and landings create most of the airplane’s carbon emissions.
- If you are driving this holiday season, use cruise control if you are traveling on the same road for a long period of time. You will be able to avoid the gas pedal more frequently, which will boost your fuel mileage.
- Get an oil change and check your tire pressure before going on a long journey. An oil change will increase your MPG and ensuring adequate tire pressure can increase your fuel efficiency by up to 5%. Be sure to give your car inspection so you don’t run into any unexpected issues during your trip to your loved one’s house!
- While you are traveling to your destination in or out of Washington, Oregon, California, or Wisconsin, fuel up at 7-Eleven stores and you will be able to reduce your tailpipe emissions by up to 30% through the Renew program.
- Carpool with family members if they live close by and are traveling to the same destination!
During the Journey
- Make sure you have your reusable water bottle handy while you are traveling and during your stay at your loved one’s house. Instead of wasting multiple water bottles during your trip, you can use the same one and fill it up wherever you go!
- Take a shower instead of a bath. Taking a shower only uses 10-25 gallons of water, whereas taking a bath uses 70+ gallons of water. Your family members will thank you when they receive their next water bill!
- Ask if your hotel has a recycling program! That way, any waste you do have has a chance of being recycled instead of being sent to the landfill.
- Reuse your towels and sheets if you are at a family’s house or hotel. Instead of getting new sheets and towels each day, save the energy that would be used to wash them, and reuse the same ones. Most likely you use the same towels and sheets for numerous days at a time at home, so why would you do it differently when traveling?
- Bring reusable containers and utensils to your destination. If you are bringing a dish or multiple food items to a friend or family member’s house or a holiday party, make sure you bring them in a reusable container so you can bring the containers back home with you. This will reduce the amount of single-use items that are thrown away!
- Drink and be merry! If you are going to grab a beer with your friends and family, go to a local brewery and order a local beer to cut down on the ‘beer mileage’ imported beers come with.
If you are going to a friend or family member’s house close-by, driving to a different state, or flying to your holiday celebration destination, it is possible to be merry and be green at the same time! From 7-Eleven Renew to you, have a wonderful green holiday travel season!